Sunday, February 22, 2015

RB's Motivation: AMKE Elsaba cape/dress !!


Alright giant mass post for AMKE in the next few updates so we'll go chronological order and start with Elsaba which I wore for Friday. There is so much that went into prep for this con that I can only break down into certain parts. I worked my ass off in last two weeks before AMKE thanks to a refund check I splurged on a sewing machine that WORKED FUCKING MAGIC. I had no idea I would even get a refund check and let me a tell you I would not have been able to finish this outfit if not for it. I was delusional to have thought I would have been able to do so

So onto it then!! This is the fabric I used for the cape to start, I didn't really have enough but I was in no place to buy anymore seeing as the closest michaels and joannes are waaaay too far by bus now. 


But I tried to make my own pattern using math. By taking a rectangle of fabric to turn it into a cape, just cut the part into more diagonal shapes. It kind of worked but I cut too many shapes and so the effect didn't make much of a different
Follow this pattern people, unlike me who didn't take advantage of a dramatic cut.
SO then I sewed all the pieces together to get this which was a much better outcome than I thought seeing it laid out on the floor. This was just the first layer for sure I wasn't even thinking of how to attach it yet just MORE DRAMA  MORE FLOW MORE DIVA.

But this was a hybrid of the sparkly web fabric and more wrinkly soft veiny fabric. Hard to describe and unfortunately hard to photograph. it starched more and was much longer so i just sewed that on without any cutting unlike the web fabric


Next was handling the details of the shirt. I made the shirt myself so it was kind of hard to deal with, but it worked in the way it was form fitted in the sleeves like I needed and stretched everywhere else thanks to the beautiful mesh fabric a great great great Joannes fabric employee directed me too. I had so much excess for my tiny size too 

I based the shirt pattern off of an existing compression shirt and went from there. This is the front and I used a lot of left over fabric for details and improvising like my prom fabric seen in the ruby skirt and shirt details. What can I say I had a lot of it leftover and it's kind of become a signature thing so far.

I made use of the sewing lines from the machine to try and incorporate some of the nordic designs in Elsa's shirt as well as the feel of Elphaba. Also my favorite part as the leftover lace for the shoulders my roommate gave me from her own leftover school project. Since I chose to boost the neckline, for body paint coverage reasons as well as Elphaba reasons I lost the off the shoulder effect of the lines on Elsa's design and had to improvise with this lace aspect. I was feeling pretty unsure about the shirt UNTIL I put on the lace and everything else came together much more


Also a very bad picture of the back. 


A lot of the reference I used here. I looked at concept art a lot because the artist would know exactly the motions I am going through. 

Also there are never enough cape references to look at. But the big thing was taking all these details and translating them into Elphaba's style and colors, and then into what I had on me

So I remembered I cut up a shirt for a Pearl reference and pattern. This was the design that was on it. It was one of those sheert top, peplum shirts sold at Body central on the clearance rack. I cut it down to the essentials and knew this thing would come in handy. 
I think the design really screams flying monkey, wicked and further more elphaba's glamour


So here's a giant finished result. The rest really was just a lot of layering and improvising on the train and cape so it goes without saying, what is best to your idea. It was grueling to say the least. I actually put myself into decommission and had to slow down for school because I puked in class after this was all done.

But also I decided to attach the train to the shirt permanently. As I knew people were going to step on my train, I didn't want to deal with a sloppy velcro job. It made the costume pretty hard to put on, almost got stuck at the con but very much once it's on, it's second skin which I do enjoy.
ALso I very loosely sewed the symbol onto the back of the shirt by the top meshing and none at the bottom so that way the peplum prt would flow as much as possible


Also you can see the peplum cam out so much I was able to sew it to the fronts I could solve a lot of the hanging parts of the train I thought were messy edges


I used the very last bit of the red lace prom fabric to do a dripping ascent that mirrors the long snowflake in elsa's cape. I still think it stands out way too much compared to the blunt black peplum  so I might find more black mesh to go over or just with black fabric paint wash. I still like the tear and rip effect though.

Look at that sparkle glitter!!


Speaking of fabric paint. I wanted the symbol to pop more so I went in the red and watered it down slightly


It got kind of a rustic feel which while I like I might one day go in and amplify more with jewels or something else in the future


Also it fit very well when the whole thing was put on. It goes, skirt, leggings (yep can't be seen but I was wearing green leggings), shirt +cape, and then corset to seal everything inside. 


No one recognized me much but I was still so happy with the result cuz it was comfy, workable, and I felt fucking fabulous with this train.


I know for sure I want to put a high slit into the skirt to show off those leggings and get the full diva effect.
-RB out


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews