Wednesday, July 30, 2014

RB's motivation: Vanellope tights, 3rd times the charm?

I am currently awaiting to take off the finished tights and scrub paint off myself. But while I wait, let me write up my experience. Surprised it took me this long to realize, Oh I can paint things,........art school will be terrible or great for my common sense

So here is the start off. I taped up my legs to get clean edges and an idea of the size for each stripe, really I should know by now. But beware I taped my thigh and upper calf too tight and it really affected the painting process. Because I was worried about cutting off circulation (hypochondriac senses at too early) I did not wait long enough for things to dry and you will see.
 Started the first stripe. I had to use acrylic paint b/c I forgot to buy white fabric paint at the store, didn't think I could vani done on a insomnia night int he week so only got black, purple and red. PURPLE OVER WHITE? What sickness do I have now? SO that affected things. Because acrylic is plastic and dries easilly it's really thick and does not cling to fabric too well.
 As you can see hear. I tore off the tape after ten minutes, because I don't want to end up like house MD. And here I am stretching it off myself. B/c with thin fabric and heavy paint, it'll seep through and stick to your skin. But it's fine, bc it will wash off bc it's plastic. (ACRYLIC IS VERSATILE GET OVER IT OILS) But still it's plastic so if it doesn't bond and let dry it will stretch and crack. Can't really see here, but let's say this will help with the glitch effect of her character. It's much worse on the second stripe.

So I was impatient and decided to take on the black part as well. I used the smaller fabric paint here bc it was thinner. And I will tell you, getting the first few spritz out of that thing was BAD. It sprayed my like a baby penis, so be careful, always point the tips down to your plate or fabric. IT WILL GET YOU UNLESS YOU TAME IT.

 Here they are all painted up while the last dries. I decided to wait the last guy out bc he wasn't wrapped to tight which was good. I waited a whole Strokes album for him to finish and it wasn't too bad. It had the same crackling but the last stripe is kind of covered by boot so it's fine.
 Here they are all finished. You can't tell the flaws from this resolution but they are there and I accept them way better than half finished sewing. PANTS ON THE GROUND BECAUSE FUCK IT NOBODY'S AWAKE I DO WHAT I WANT
I will update on the taking off process. I'm never going to wash these but I can assure the paint will stay
forever as a stain.

And here we go. Here they are after peeling them off my legs, hanging on the lamp. Before I realized the paints gonna stick to itself. ANd so I have to stretch them....into a really weird shape



Here's what fucking happens when you paint leggings. It's not surprising at all. just if you have sensitive skin. I recommend being over precocious and taping napkins to you skin under the areas you're going to paint. So that way it'll stretch more and just stain the napkin. Not your eczema. Because I had to scrub for a good ten minutes with lotion and water, wasn't too bad for the painting I did. 

Strange shapes indeed bro. I swear it's not a bong. This is the part where I need mannequins. I had to improvise with a whole paper towel roll and a roll of duct tape. The middle is being a bitch and sticking to himself but hopefully it'll get better. These are forever going to be the fragile fankenstein tights


Next on revamping cosplays KugelMugel's hat and possibly Vanellopes twizler!
-RB out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews